We were asked for the recipe for the original Finnish Laskiaispulla. Why? Because they are soft sweet buns with cardamom flavor, filled with whipped cream and jam or marzipan. That’s why. And they absolutely belong to the Finnish and Scandinavian shrove season. Just like eating pea soup with mustard and sledding.
But if you can only choose one Finnish shrove tradition this year, let it be Laskiaispulla – home-baked or enjoyed with Finnish coffee at Annika’s Café and Shop in Hanau.
The big annual debate in Finland is whether Laskiaispulla tastes better with jam or marzipan. But if you can’t decide, there are two shrove days, there are two choices – maybe that’s the real reason for Shrove Sunday and Shrove Tuesday..?
Our Laskiaispulla recipe comes from the online recipe database of Valio, a major producer of delicious Finnish dairy products.
Working time 45min
In oven 10 min (per tray)
Walking time 1 hr
Total 1 hr 55 min
INGREDIENTS (20 buns)
50 g yeast
5 dl (0.5l) Valio milk (or other milk)
2 dl sugar (170g)
1 ½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cardamom (1 Sallisen cardamom tube, also in Hanau Shop)
14 – 16 dl (approx. 1 kg) wheat flour
150 – 200 g Valio butter or Oivariini butter margarine (available in Little Finland Hanau)
FOR LUBRICATION AND SURFACE
Granulated sugar and/or ground almonds
2 dl (0,2l) Valio (or other) whipped cream
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
Marzipan or strawberry or raspberry jam. Tastes fantastic also with Finnish berry jams like blueberry or cloudberry jam.
- Mix the yeast with lukewarm milk.
- Add eggs, sugar, spices and a little flour. Mix the dough until it is smooth.
- Add the remaining flour to the dough. Finally, add room-warm softened butter.
- Cover the dough with a cloth and let it rise in a draft-free place until it has doubled in size.
- Bake dough rolls (weight approx. 80 – 90 g). Let rise well on a baking sheet under a cloth.
- Brush the buns with egg. Sprinkle granulated sugar and/or ground almonds on top.
- Bake the rolls on the middle shelf in the oven at 220 degrees for about 1 hour. 10 – 12 min or until rolls are nicely colored and baked.
- Whip the cream until frothy. Season with sugar.
- Divide the cooled rolls. Fill with marzipan or berry jam and whipped cream.
- Enjoy it with Finnish coffee, cocoa or Moomin tea.